ESIST understands the concept of Screen Translation to cover the various forms of language transfer in the media, including subtitling, dubbing, voice-over, interpreting for the media, surtitling, subtitling for the deaf and the hard-of-hearing, and audio description for the blind and the partially sighted.
The main aims of the association are to:
- Facilitate contact for an exchange of information and experience in the teaching of screen translation in higher education institutes in Europe.
- Promote screen translation as a skilled practice requiring specialist training and encourage the creation of innovative courses in screen translation in European higher education institutions.
- Facilitate cooperative projects including the exchange of staff and students.
- Study the potential for curriculum development in the field of screen translation on a European basis.
- Initiate other forms of collaboration and research in screen translation.
- Develop the dialogue between higher education teachers who offer courses in and on screen translation and persons concerned with the profession of screen translation in the television and film industries.
- Promote professional standards in the teaching and practice of screen translation.
- Promote accessibility to audiovisual media.