ESIST understands the concept of
Screen Translation to cover the various forms of language transfer in
the media, including subtitling, dubbing, voice-over, interpreting for
the media, surtitling, subtitling for the deaf and the hard-of-hearing,
and audio description for the blind and the partially sighted.
ESIST - EST Protocol of Understanding
The main aims of the association are to:
- Facilitate contact for an exchange of information and
experience in the teaching of screen translation in higher education
institutes in Europe.
- Promote screen translation as an additional skill to the
qualification of translator and encourage the creation of innovative
courses in screen translation in European higher education
- Facilitate cooperative projects including the exchange of
staff and students.
- Study the potential of curriculum development in the field
of screen translation on a European basis.
- Initiate other forms of collaboration and research in
- Develop the dialogue between higher education teachers who
offer courses in and on screen translation and persons concerned with
the profession of screen translation in the television and film
- Promote professional standards in the teaching and practice
of screen translation.